Editor of The Molokai News takes position at Molokai High School

| September 2, 2014 | 10 Comments

By David Lichtenstein

Teaching and journalism have been the two loves of my professional life over the past 30 years. Now the pendulum has swung back toward teaching as I have accepted a full-time staff position at Molokai High School’s Alternative Learning Center.

Editor of The Molokai News, David Lichtenstein, has taken a job at Molokai High School.

I did not want pass up the opportunity to have a positive impact on Molokai’s youth. I look forward to my future as a teacher.

In my commitment to be the best teacher possible, I can no longer stay faithful to the readers of The Molokai News. I will try to write a weekly news story once I have established myself in my new job. Until then, the news service will be limited to freelance submissions and press releases relevant to the Molokai community.

In the future, I have a vision of The Molokai News providing a lively platform for the publication of student writing. This will be a great way to show off the skills of Molokai students in persuasive writing, expository writing and research skills.

Although the format is changing, it is still about Molokai. The blog will stay true to its original intent — for Molokai, from Molokai and about Molokai. Soon the stories will be told through the eyes of the youth.

Questions about submissions can be sent by email to: molokainews@gmail.com.

Mahalo!

Tags:

Category: About, Business, News, Schools

About the Author ()

Comments (10)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Naturelover says:

Aloha David… Best of luck on probably the hardest job there is, teaching, but most rewarding. Let us know if you need any help, meaning visiting speakers, funds for computers, etc etc. It’ll be a real challenge to rebuild the ALC program but a most worthwhile one.

• molokainews says:

Thank you for your support! I will definitely be looking for guest speakers to come into the classroom, especially ones who can talk about the value of writing in the real world. My students seem to think writing is an irrelevant chore; I need to break them of that idea. Mahalo!

2. mkklolo says:

Congratulations, David. We’ll miss the news and your input but wish you the best. Illigitimi non carborundum est.

3. Renee Beihl says:

Congratulations! I will miss your perspective and your straightforward reporting, but our loss is the students’ gain. They are lucky to have the opportunity to learn from you.

• molokainews says:

Thank you for reading and supporting The Molokai News! Let others in the community know that themolokainews.com is still available as a publishing platform for anyone who desires to write a news story or put out a press release. Mahalo!

4. HAWAIIANGIRL says:

David. Good luck in your new venture. The students are so lucky to have you in their school.

5. kalaniua ritte says:

eh dave bring your resperator to work on kona wind days

6. Good luck David with your new teaching job, and thank you for featuring my food blog, tastinghawaii.com on The Molokai News. I look forward to seeing how this news blog develops.