UH Manoa News Release
University of Hawaii at Manoa will be reaching out to Molokai students and their families at the Freshman Foundation and Back to School Event on Aug. 5 from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at the UH Maui College, Molokai Education Center.
UH Manoa offers distance education courses and degree programs to Maui County, including Molokai, in areas such as education, nursing, business and social work. Also offered is the bachelor of arts in interdisciplinary studies, which enables interested and qualified students to arrange interdisciplinary “major equivalents” for BA degrees (see the UH Manoa Office of Undergraduate Education-Interdisciplinary Studies for more information).
Kehau Newhouse, Program Coordinator for the UH Manoa Maui Outreach Program will be available at the Freshman Foundation Event with general information on UH Manoa programs, and the Interdisciplinary Studies program in particular.
“I’m looking forward to the event to create personal connections with the students, faculty and staff, and communities we serve … The barriers to higher education can seem even greater when on a ‘neighbor island’ but it’s achievable. I went to UH Manoa to complete my bachelors in business, but did my master’s degree via distance learning, so I know the challenges and opportunities as a transfer and distance student. Education opens doors to greater possibilities!”
Students interested in pursuing their educational goals through UH Manoa, via distance learning or on the Oahu campus, can set up more in-depth appointments with Kehau at the event. She can also be reached in advance at 984-3597 or email email@example.com.
Freshman Foundation and Back to School Event schedule:
• 10 a.m.-noon, Freshman Foundation: First time freshmen will discover tips to be successful in college, meet staff members, and learn about the programs and services available on campus.
• Noon-1 p.m., Resource Fair: All current and prospective UH Maui College, Molokai students are welcome to join us for the following activities and services:
• Student ID photo-taking
• Meet Fall 2014 instructors
• Learn about new certificate and degree opportunities available to Molokai students
• Discover distance education options for UH bachelor’s and master’s degree programs
• Apply for student support programs
For more information on the Freshman Foundation and Back to School Event, contact Theresa Tamanaha at 553-4490, Ext. 5.